Thursday, April 8, 2010

Readathon Day 4 check-in: Clear Out the Pack Rat Mentality AND the TBR

No check-ins today -- I was too busy playing with my kids and (squeee!) seeing Chris Van Allsburg speak.  I'll write a blog entry tomorrow about it with pictures and everything, but I'm just too darn tired tonight.  I did get some good reading done while standing in line for autographs, though.

Here are the questions from tonight's minichallenge:

1.) Is there at least one book on your growing TBR that has been there forever and (if you were honest) you could give up without to much trauma?

Since my goal has been to read all those books I've had out of the library for way too long, it's hard to say.  I've enjoyed every single one of the books I've read this weekend.  Looking at what's left, I suppose I would say Home on the Range, the biography about John Lomax.  I'm only so-so about biographies in general.  I'm sure it will be good, but I wouldn't miss it if I never read it.  Of course, it's short, so I'm sure it'll be no trouble at all.

2.) What is your latest "Gotta Have It" book? (that you can get once you've given up that one in question #1)

Ohhhh, I guess my next really wanna read is Ash by Malinda Lo.  I had to send that one back to the library already once, so I put it on my "read at least some of" pile for Saturday's 24-Hour Readathon.

3.) What are your classics - your 'comfort books' that you never want to give up?

If you mean those books I could read over and over again, I would include Watership Down (my #1 all time favorite book), Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar books (like Twilight with telepathic horses), Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan series (the best dialogue in SF ever), the Liaden series by Sharon Lee & Steve Miller (the absolute best mix of romance, science fiction and fantastic writing), Robin McKinley's Sunshine (closest thing to Buffy in a book) and Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game (depressing, sure, but such great world building).  I read the Liaden and Bujold books again last year.  Looks like Watership Down and Ender's Game are up for a re-read soon!  

4.) What are your best tips for keeping that TBR in check?



You're asking ME?  Um.  I don't think I'm qualified to answer, since I own well over over a hundred books I've never read.  This year I've gotten good at putting things I don't need to read RIGHT NOW on my Goodreads list instead of checking them out of the library.  It's been helpful to help me prioritize.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where Am I?

This is an old blog, and I seldom update it. You can find me in these other places, in descending order of frequency: Goodreads @mama_libr...