Saturday, April 10, 2010

Dewey 24 Hour Read-A-Thon Minichallenge: Lights, Camera, Read!

WINNERS!  Thank you to all four of you for submitting your fabulous Animoto videos.  By random drawing, the winner of the Amazon gift certificate is...


Icedream!


The Ivy's Choice award of a signed copy of THE POLAR EXPRESS goes to... 


Readerbuzz!


And the Maggi's Choice award of a signed copy of WOODS RUNNER goes to...


Wendy!

Welcome, new visitors and old friends!  Those of you who are participating in the Spring 2010 Dewey 24-Hour Read-A-Thon, I have a minichallenge for you.

Minichallenge: Lights, Camera, Read!

In addition to each participant automatically being entered into a drawing for a $25 Amazon gift card, there will be two prizes (see below) and they are JUICY.  Here's how to play:
While you are reading and posting this day, acquire some pictures of yourself reading.  This is a good way to get a friend or partner, or even your kids, involved (and possibly get them interested in participating in the 'Thon next fall!).  If you are squeamish about yourself on camera, you can just use pictures of covers of books you are reading.   
When you have a few (six is a good minimum), assemble them into a slideshow using Animoto or your favorite slide-show-creating web site.  iPhoto and YouTube is fine, or anything else you want to use.  It must include music.  (If you can't think of good music, I recommend Patty Larkin's The Book I'm Not Reading.) 
When you're done (any time before 5pm EST), come back here and post a link to your Animoto or other digital creation in the comments section.  Make sure you also include a link to your blog and an email address so I can contact you.
The drawing for the Amazon gift card will be done exactly at 6pm EST.  You get +1 entry by posting your digital creation in the comments section.  Additional entries may be gained in the following way:
+1 entry for Twittering this minichallenge (before it's over, please)
+1 entry for posting on Facebook
+1 entry for posting about this minichallenge on your blog, if you have one
Please let me know you've done these things in a comment here.

Prizes!  I will give two prizes for creativity, one to be awarded by me and one by my co-blogger, Ivy.  We will review all entries and post the winners on Sunday, April 11.

Prize 1: a SIGNED copy of Gary Paulsen's brand new book Woods Runner!
Prize 2: a SIGNED copy of the 20th anniversary edition of Chris Van Allsberg's Caldecott winner The Polar Express (with audio CD and Christmas ornament)!

(You are fortunate that I just happen to be seeing both these authors this week!)

While you're here, browse the blog.  I hope you enjoy what you see, and come back again.  In the meantime, have a productive Readathon, and I'll see you in your comments sections!  =)

-Maggi (Mama Librarian)

8 comments:

  1. Ooo this sounds fun. I think I'll join in on this one. :) I look a hot mess right now! lol. YAY for non-attractive pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and I posted about the challenge on Twitter and added it to my Challenge feed on my blog! :) http://manderiffic.blogspot.com

    Twitter: @Manderiffic

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's my Animoto:
    http://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2010/04/readathon-hour-6-lumieres-camera-lisez.html

    My husband had just arrived with croissants and gelato! Must be off for lunch!

    Also, I just became a follower. I'd love to have you visit me at my blog.

    Oh, and I tweeted this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this sounds so wonderful! I am all alone in the house or I would so be all over this! Have fun with the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can still play -- just use book cover images or take pictures of your book covers instead.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here's my entry. This is also a post about the mini challenge on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have an entry on my blog. It's at:
    http://readinginappalachia.blogspot.com/2010/04/hour-8-update-for-read-thon.html

    I also tweeted about the mini-challenge at
    http://twitter.com/BloggerIcedream/status/11953593245.

    waitmantwillie AT hotmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok here is my submission!!!

    http://manderiffic.blogspot.com/2010/04/read-thon-mini-challenges.html

    It's at the bottom of the post! Good luck everyone! Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete

Where Am I?

This is an old blog, and I seldom update it. You can find me in these other places, in descending order of frequency: Goodreads @mama_libr...