Monday, January 18, 2010

2010 Challenge: Clover, Bee and Reverie - A Poetry Challenge


I'm planning a poetry unit for my 5th graders, so I'm all set for this one. You should just see my TBR pile.  Right now I'm focused on other books, so I probably won't get started until February.

I'm participating at the Sonnet level, which is 14 books of poetry, two badges and at least one expert badge.  I'm reading many books of narrative poetry, so that will be at least one focus.  Others might include epic poetry or visual poetry (though I don't see that one on the list).

Here's my to-read list of narrative poetry.  Most are middle grade, with a few teen choices sprinkled in there.  I tried to choose half with boy protagonists and half with girl protagonists.

3/15 - started to add reviews.
  1. All the Broken Pieces by Ann E. Burg - done!
  2. Fearless Fernie by Gary Soto - done!
  3. Shakespeare Bats Cleanup by Ron Koertge - done!
  4. Carver: A Life in Poems by Marilyn Nelson - started but stalled, will finish ASAP
  5. Here in Harlem by Walter Dean Myers
  6. Bird by Zetta Elliott - done!
  7. Worlds Afire by Paul B. Janeczko - done!
  8. Crossing Stones by Helen Frost - done!
  9. Zorgamazoo by Robert Weston - done!
  10. Summerhouse Time by Eileen Spinelli - done!
  11. Where I Live by Eileen Spinelli - done!
  12. Grow by Juanita Havill
  13. Spinning Through the Universe by Helen Frost - done!
  14. T4 by Ann Clare LeZotte
Other backup choices include: Almost Forever by Maria Testa, The Voyage of the Arctic Tern by Hugh Montgomery, Reaching for Sun by Tracie Vaughn Zimmer, Ringside 1925 by Jen Bryant, Seeing Emily by Joyce Lee Wong, Kaleidoscope Eyes by Jen Bryant, Stop Pretending by Sonya Sones and Shark Girl by Kelly Bingham.  I've read several already (Where the Steps Are by Andrea Cheng, The Way A Door Closes and Keeping the Night Watch by Hope Anita Smith), so I can't count those.  

Since I want to use these in my poetry unit in March & April, I will need to do the majority of my reading before then.  Luckily, these are quick reads.  I'll schedule them for the next few weeks.

4 comments:

  1. So glad to see you're joining us! I hope you enjoy all your books and I really can't wait to read your reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lu! I'm looking forward to all those books so much. The hardest thing about having a big to-read pile is that I want to read them -- and I'm already in the middle of too many other books! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful list which I will need to explore further. Am going to find out about the challenge as well. Thanks for stopping by my post. Jone (Check it Out)

    ReplyDelete

Where Am I?

This is an old blog, and I seldom update it. You can find me in these other places, in descending order of frequency: Goodreads @mama_libr...