Monday, January 18, 2010

ALA Awards 2010 actual winners

Here are my notes from this morning.  Forgive any errors or omissions.  Some obvious winners and some surprises!  My comments in red.

Alex Award - long list, I didn't write it down =P

Schneider Family Book Award
Picture Book: Django by Bonnie Christensen
Middle Grade: Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin  This was one of my favorites this year, and I'm happy it won something.  
Teen: Marcelo in the Real World by Francisco X. Stork  Again, so happy to see Marcelo get some love, but surprised it didn't show up again below.

Virginia Hamilton Award for Lifetime Achievement (African-American author)
Walter Dean Myers  Yay!  My third graders will be so excited - I'm reading them Love That Dog.  =)

Coretta Scott King/John Steptoe Award for New Talent
The Rock and the River by Kekla Magoon

Coretta Scott King - Illustrator
Medal: My People by Langston Hughes
Honor: The Negro Speaks of Rivers by Langston Hughes

Coretta Scott King - Author  In light of recent discussion about the wealth of books about African-Americans during slavery and the dearth of anything else, this is very exciting.  Mare's War in particular was very impressive!
Medal: Bad News for Outlaws by Vaunda Micheaux Nelson
Honor: Mare's War by Tanita S. Davis

Margaret A Edwards Award
Jim Murphy

William C. Morris Award for First Time Author (YA)
Medal: Flash Burnout - L.K. Madigan  I don't read YA, but did this one come out of nowhere?  
Finalists:
Ash  This one is on my TBR pile. =)
Beautiful Creatures
The Everafter
hold still

YALSA Excellence in Nonfiction for YAs  Zero surprises here.  
Medal: Charles and Emma by Deborah Heiligman
Finalists:
Almost Astronauts
Claudette Colvin
The Great and Only Barnum
Written in Bone

Printz Award - YA Fiction  What the...?  I am completely surprised by this set of choices, but again, I don't read a lot of YA. I will be very curious to read others' responses.
Medal: Going Bovine by Libba Bray
Finalists:
Charles and Emma
Monstrumologists
Punkzilla
Tales from the Madman Underground: An Historical Romance, 1973

Odyssey Audiobook
Louise, the Adventures of a Chicken by Kate DiCamillo  Such a neat book, glad to see it get some attention.
Honors:
We Are the Ship
Peace, Locomotion
?? one other I missed, sorry

Pura Belpre
Illustration Medal: Book Fiesta! Celebrate Children's Day/Book Day by Pat Mora
Honors:
Diego: Bigger Than Life
My Abuelita
Gracias Thanks
Literature Award: Return to Sender by Julia Alvarez
Honors:
Diego: Bigger Than Life
Federico Garcio Lorca

Mary HIll Arbuthnot Honor Lecture Award
Lois Lowry

Mildred L. Batchelder
Medal: A Faraway Island - Annika Thor (Swedish)  This one sounds good!
Honors:
Big Wolf and Little Wolf
Eidi
Moribito II: Guardian of the Darkness  Was this a graphic novel?  If so, nice cross-format breakout here!

Sibert (Nonfiction)
Medal: Almost Astronauts by Tanya Lee Stone
Honor:
Day-Glo Brothers  I can't wait to read this!  My library doesn't have any copies.  =P  I think I'll just have to  buy one for myself.
Moonshot
Claudette Colvin

Carnegie (Children's Video)
Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!  Great to see.  =)

Geisel (Early Reader) Wow, NO Elephant & Piggie!  And no Cowgirl and Cocoa.  
Medal: Benny and Penny in the Big No-No! by Geoffrey Hayes  Liked this one.  
Honor:
I Spy Fly Guy  Yes!
Little Mouse Gets Ready
Mouse and Mole: Fine Feathered Friends
Pearl and Wagner: One Funny Day

Caldecott (Illustrations)  No surprises here.  I'm disappointed there were no funny books though.
Medal: Lion and the Mouse by Jerry Pinkney
Honor:
All the World
Red Sings from Treetops

Newbery (Literature)  OMG!  An all middle-grade year!!  I'm so thrilled.  =)  
Winner: When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead
Honors:  
Claudette Colvin
Evolution of Calpurnia Tate  Guess I'd better read it now!
Where the Mountain Meets the Moon  Really loved this one.
Mostly True Adventures of Homer P. Figg  Yay!!  I loved this book and I'm surprised to see it here.  

4 comments:

  1. I was rooting for Marcelo in the Real World to win the Printz, but I've heard great things about Going Bovine. I do believe, Morbito is a graphic novel. Flash Burnout has been on people's radar and it's gotten good reviews. I loved Ash! Yay Walter Dean Myers :) My lil bro loves Fly Guy but I haven't read them yet.
    Thanks for psoting the winners and I liked reading your thoughts on them too

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are so many Printz winners I've never read -- I'm guessing this year will be another one. I do think it's cool that a funny novel won, though. I can't wait to read Ash! My daughter loves Fly Guy too. =) Thanks for your comments!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Overall, good choices for winners. I agree about Mare's War. I loved the WWII narrative but thought the frame story was tedious. For the Newberys, I was hoping for Wild Girl (Giff), Also Known as Harper (Leal), and Neil Armstrong Is My Uncle (Marino). I would have loved to see Down Down Down (Steve Jenkins) win a Sibert, Mama Says a Caldecott, and either/both Jan Thomases (Can You Make a Scary Face? and Rhyming Dust Bunnies) a Geisel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Postemac - Thanks for your comments!

    Haven't read Wild Girl yet but knowing how much I love Giff, I'm sure it will be good. Also Known as Harper is on my to-read pile. Have not really looked at Neil Armstrong but read some good reviews of it earlier -- do you think it's middle grade or teen?

    My students liked Down Down Down but it did not get as much attention as other Jenkins books have. I personally loved it. Mama Says is so beautiful -- is that the same illustrator who did Mem Fox's The Goblin and the Empty Chair? Looks similar. The kids from other countries were excited to see letters they recognized and head scarves and such. Jan Thomas was definitely on my radar for the Geisel but apparently was not as early-readerish as the other choices. I think Jan Thomas is a genius. =)

    ReplyDelete

Where Am I?

This is an old blog, and I seldom update it. You can find me in these other places, in descending order of frequency: Goodreads @mama_libr...