Thursday, February 4, 2010

January Check-In

I'm trying a lot of new things this year with this blog, and I'm pretty happy with how things are going.  It is more work, but I feel it is more rewarding as well.  I'm working on pacing my reading better, but already I'm getting behind.  I'm keeping track of my reading using an Excel spreadsheet downloaded from another generous blogger, but I'm ashamed to say I can't remember who it was!  I love it, whoever you are.

Total books read or listened to so far this year (not counting books read while teaching): 16

Nonfiction
Middle Grade
Picture Books
Audiobooks
  • Heroes of the Valley (not reviewed - somewhat too long but really well crafted, with three dimensional characters and a smashing, gruesome conclusion... but really, I think reading Powers ruined me for any other coming-of-age fantasy quests)
  • Shug (not reviewed - great characters; reminded me of Rules)
  • Farm City (currently listening - interesting, but not as good as some other eco-memoirs I've read in the last few years; the writing is funny but somewhat abrasive, and I haven't developed much love for the family yet)
Graphic Novels
  • Stitches (not reviewed - amazing and powerful; reminded me of Blankets)
Challenges
  • YA Through the Ages: This is my most challenging challenge, because there are so many books I chose to read.  I just finished The Yearling.  Whew!  It took me longer than anticipated.  I'm quite behind on my schedule, but I hope to catch up over February break.  Next is Seventeenth Summer.
  • Take Another Chance: I finished #1 (Read Your Doppelganger) and have started #2 (Blogroll Roulette), so I'm right on schedule with this one.
  • Clover, Bee and Reverie (poetry): I've scheduled my poetry reading (all poetic novels) for this one for February and March, so there will be lots coming up.  I just read my first book yesterday, All the Broken Pieces.
  • Original TBR: I scheduled one per month here.  I should be reading Dove and Sword this week, but I'm swamped with other reading and ack!  I hope I don't get too behind.  
  • Read'n'Review: I'm doing well here -- I've actually reviewed just about all the books I've read so far this year, which is a huge improvement over last year!  I have not reviewed many of the audiobooks, though.  I'm not sure if I plan to include these or not.  It's hard to write review notes when I'm walking around or driving while listening.
  • Finish That Series: This is a very brief challenge for me, and I'm only participating at the lowest level.  It was really just an incentive for me to actually read/listen to Inkheart once and for all.  I've done one book so far and it was very good!
  • GLBT Challenge: I still need to come up with a list of books, but I read Tango Makes Three and wrote a mini-challenge piece on why I am doing this challenge.
Memes, Themes and Other Writing

2 comments:

  1. Love, Aubrey is one of my favorites so far this year! I look forward to checking out your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! My review is here: http://mamalibrarian.blogspot.com/2010/01/review-love-aubrey-suzanne-lafleur.html

    ReplyDelete

Where Am I?

This is an old blog, and I seldom update it. You can find me in these other places, in descending order of frequency: Goodreads @mama_libr...