Thursday, January 21, 2010

Booking Through Thursday: Favorite Unknown

This post is part of the Booking Through Thursday meme.
Who’s your favorite author that other people are NOT reading? The one you want to evangelize for, the one you would run popularity campaigns for? The author that, so far as you’re concerned, everyone should be reading–but that nobody seems to have heard of. You know, not JK Rowling, not Jane Austen, not Hemingway–everybody’s heard of them. The author that you think should be that famous and can’t understand why they’re not…
Picture book author: Robert Munsch.   I have the joy of introducing students to Robert Munsch every year.  Because he's Canadian, kids often don't see his books in bookstores in the States. The only Munsch title they are likely to be familiar with is Love You Forever, which is, needless to say, not funny.  He's the one who hooks even the most reluctant listener into gales of laughter.


Chapter book author: William Sleator.  Kids are always asking for scary books.  They eat up the Goosebumps and Michigan/American Chillers and Alvin Schwartz folktale series.  As they get older, I point to this author and whisper, "He's scarier than anything you've ever read."  Interstellar Pig?  Nightmare-inducing.  The Boxes?  Brrrr.   House of Stairs?  Creepy beyond belief.

Teen author: Julian Thompson.  I was obsessed with The Grounding of Group 6 as a teen.  I didn't read any of Thompson's other books until I was in my 20s, but when I did I was pleased to read they were as quirky and strangely compelling as my original obsession.

What authors do you love that no one's heard of?

8 comments:

  1. I love Munsch's "Paper-Bag Princess." I remember reading it as a kid and bought it for my library shortly after I started working there!

    Of course, I can't pick up "Love You Forever" without bawling, so I purposely stay away from that one...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha The Grounding of Group 6 sounds like the perfect teen author. My pick is at The Crowded Leaf.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not heard of the last author. Thank you for introducing me. My BTT: http://www.rundpinne.com/2010/01/booking-through-thursday-21-january.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being Canadian, childhood without Robert Munsch is unthinkable. No Thomas' Snowsuit? No Angela's Airplane? No Mortimer with his "Clang, clang, rattle-bing bang"? Not even my personal favourite, David's Father?

    I'm rather shocked, but happy to hear that you're spreading the love of Munsch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michelle -- I think Love You Forever is one of those you love or hate, like The Giving Tree. I personally love it but don't think it's much of a "kid" book! Paper Bag Princess is a great one for those budding feminists. =)

    Jennifer -- so glad to introduce you to Munsch! I love Purple, Green and Yellow.

    Claire -- I'm just doing my best to spread the beloved Munsch to the unwitting populace. =) Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm....of course I've heard of Love You Forever, though I've never actually read it, but other than that I'm not at all familiar with any of these authors! More for the list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Charlotte -- there's always so much to discover. How can we possibly read it all?? =) Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete

Where Am I?

This is an old blog, and I seldom update it. You can find me in these other places, in descending order of frequency: Goodreads @mama_libr...