Monday, February 1, 2010

Nonfiction Monday: Eleanor Quiet No More - Doreen Rappaport



Eleanor Quiet No More

by Doreen Rappaport, illustrated by Gary Kelley

Ages 4-8

48 pages

Hyperion Books, February 2009
Eleanor was a serious child.  Her parents died when she was ten.  Even though she had money, she was poor in love and affection.  She was taught to be quiet and not speak up for herself or others.  But Eleanor's compassion was awakened as she matured, and she found many opportunities to help others all over the world, by herself, as First Lady and, later, for the United Nations.  


This picture book biography is in the same style as Rappaport's Martin's Big Words, which is a staple for reading at any time of the year in my school.  It combines description with quotes from King and others in his life.  The format works equally well to tell Roosevelt's story.  I found myself tearing up at her selfless and inclusive actions.  


It includes that most useful of all biographical tools, a timeline, in the back, as well as several suggestions for more reading.  I would have loved a list of references for each quote, but I doubt it would be important to the intended audience.

I've always been fond of Eleanor Roosevelt.  She seemed to me a sensible, funny individual.  Now I'm inspired to learn more -- which, I think, is the ultimate goal of any nonfiction book.  Another fine achievement by Doreen Rappaport.

A Recommended book listed by the Orbus Pictus Award for Outstanding Nonfiction for Children.

Ratings
  • Awesomeness: 7 - memorable and significant contribution to the picture book biography genre
  • Wordsmithing: 8 - a lovely selection of quotes in particular
  • Mesmerizitude: 6 - enjoyable read
  • Illustrations: 7 - muted colors emphasize the challenges of the time and Roosevelt's plain appearance
  • Factfulness: 6 - concentrates on Roosevelt's character rather than facts about her, but highlights some interesting moments
Other Reviews - one lone review at readerbuzz -- write a comment if you know of another!

1 comment:

  1. I love your ratings :) It's a great list of things to think about as I'm reading.

    ReplyDelete

Where Am I?

This is an old blog, and I seldom update it. You can find me in these other places, in descending order of frequency: Goodreads @mama_libr...