Sunday, January 10, 2010

In My Mailbox: Classics of teen literature

This is my first In My Mailbox post! It's a very nice one, too, because I treated myself to a big order at Powell's. I was out of Paperback Swap credits, and, well, it was a holiday thing. =) I can't feel too bad when the median price for a book was $4.00!

Here's what was in the box, in approximate order of copyright (left to right):
  1. The Yearling by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings (1938) (not pictured)
  2. Daly, Maureen. Seventeenth Summer.
  3. I Capture the Castle - Dody Smith
  4. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
  5. Catcher in the Rye - Salinger
  6. Fifteen - Cleary
  7. A Separate Peace - Knowles
  8. Farmer in the Sky - Heinlein
  9. Hinton, S.E.  The Outsiders.  Dell, 1967.
  10. Lipsyte, Robert.  The Contender.  Harper, 1967.
  11. Zindel, Paul. The Pigman. Bantam, 1968.
  12. My Darling My Hamburger - Zindel
  13. Mr Mrs Bo Jo Jones - Head
  14. Lisa Bright and Dark - Neufeld
  15. Camilla - L'Engle
  16. Blume, Judy. Forever.
  17. Cormier, Robert. The Chocolate War. Dell, 1974.
  18. Kerr, M.E. Dinky Hocker Shoots Smack. Harper & Row, 1972.
  19. Mohr, Nicholasa. El Bronx Remembered.
  20. Killing Mr Griffin - Duncan
  21. Are You In the House Alone - Peck
  22. Cat Ate My Gymsuit - Danziger
  23. Block, Francesca Lia.  Weetzie Bat. Harper, 1989.
  24. Cisneros, Sandra. The House on Mango Street.
  25. Hamilton, Virginia. Sweet Whispers, Brother Rush.
  26. Fallen Angels - Walter Dean Myers
  27. Izzy Willy-Nilly - Voigt
  28. Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson (1999)

  29. 
The Face on the Milk Carton by Caroline B. Cooney (1990)
  30. 
Blood And Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause (1997)
  31. 
If You Come Softly by Jacqueline Woodson (1998)
  32. Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes by Chris Crutcher (1994)
  33. Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli (2000)
  34. 
The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann Brashares (2001)

  35. 
The First Part Last by Angela Johnson (2003)
  36. 
Sammy and Juliana in Hollywood by Benjamin Alire Saenz (2004)

  37. I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak (2005)

  38. Looking for Alaska by John Green (2005)

I've read a few of these already, but most I've just not gotten around to reading. Even the ones I've read I could stand to read again (Blood and Chocolate, Speak, The Outsiders). Some books I'll be reading for this challenge are not on this list because I already own them.

I'm really looking forward to these books!  I started The Yearling yesterday.

6 comments:

  1. I wish I had time to read (and reread) these, too. Will you review them? That would be great. Two more you might want to consider: Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt and The Giver by Lois Lowry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Bruce! I do plan to review them, but I am thus far unreliable about actually writing reviews. =P So we'll see!

    Great suggestions! Tuck I would call MG and not YA, although it is a classic. I just reread that one five or six years ago. The Giver has been more like fifteen years, and it is indeed on my list to read for the challenge (but since I already owned it, it's not on this list).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh so many books,so lucky :) Happy Reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Maire! =) It's good to have an excuse to focus on some old classics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow you got heaps of books. Hope you enjoy reading all your books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Rebecca! =) I love diving into a new pile of books... probably why my public library visits are so ridiculous. =)

    ReplyDelete

Where Am I?

This is an old blog, and I seldom update it. You can find me in these other places, in descending order of frequency: Goodreads @mama_libr...