Monday, January 18, 2010

2010 GLBT Mini-Challenge: Why This Challenge?


I'm participating in the GLBT 2010 Challenge this year.  The first mini-challenge is to write a post about why this challenge is important to you.

This challenge is important to me because all librarians everywhere need to be familiar with literature about all oppressed minorities.  (It is not too lofty a goal.)

This challenge is important to me because my husband is a surrogate father to two beautiful girls whose mothers are lesbians.  I want to stay current about what books to recommend to them as they grow up.

This challenge is important to me because I'm a bisexual woman in a marriage to a straight man, and it's easy to marginalize this part of my identity.  By intentionally reading books about GLBT characters, I'm renewing and strengthening my connection to the GLBT community.

1 comment:

Where Am I?

This is an old blog, and I seldom update it. You can find me in these other places, in descending order of frequency: Goodreads @mama_libr...