Sunday, April 19, 2009

My Dog, My Hero by Betsy Byars et al


I didn't realize that Laurie Myers, one of the other co-authors of this book, was Betsy Byars' daughter until I read Surviving Brick Johnson, which Myers wrote on her own.  

I can't imagine why I missed this title.  It fills that all-important middle reader category, children who are beyond Junie B. and Magic Tree House series books, but aren't quite ready to jump into the ambitious middle grade pool of books.  Most kids hit this point somewhere in the third grade.  This one is cool enough to appeal to fourth graders, too, which is great.  

The illustrations are lovely, but totally not necessary to paint a picture of the characters, neither dog nor human -- the words are descriptive enough, quite a feat in less than six pages per chapter.  

I suspect this book will fly off my shelves... and I'm looking forward to testing my theory!

Booklist said: "Drama, humor, excitement, and love fuel these short, well-written stories that are certain to be relished by dog lovers. The selections can also provide students in English classes with excellent examples of point of view, characterization, and plot construction."

Awesomeness: 5/10
Wordsmithing: 3/10
Personages: 6/10
Mesmerizitude: 6/10

I read this for the Spring Reading Thing.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Mama Librarian,

    We just discovered your blog and, after reading several reviews, including My Dog, My Hero, would like to send you a review copy of Planet Of The Dogs, the first book in our Planet of the Dogs series.

    These illustrated first chapter fantasy-adventure books are for children and dog lovers of all ages.

    You can preview the book in advance. For sample chapters and information on the series, you can visit www.planetofthedogs.net.

    For information on the concepts behind our books and our involvement in therapy dog reading programs, please visit http://barkingplanet.typepad.com.

    Please reply to our email, barkingplanet@aol.com, with a postal address and we will be pleased to send you the book.

    Best wishes,
    Robert McCarty
    Barking Planet Productions

    ReplyDelete

Where Am I?

This is an old blog, and I seldom update it. You can find me in these other places, in descending order of frequency: Goodreads @mama_libr...