Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy


Spoiler Alert!

This one sat on my shelf for a long time between the time I picked it up (summer) and when I finally finished it (this morning).  I read, and fell in love with, The Wednesday Wars, and I thought Trouble was pretty fantastic too, so I anticipated loving this one as much... but it just didn't grab me.  The writing and imagery was beautiful, but I wasn't as attached to Turner in the same way as I'd been to Holling.  In addition, I was shocked at the death of Lizzie.   I guess I didn't anticipate such a move from a children's book author.  Also, the ending came too abruptly -- I needed more closure.

I won't give up on you, Gary D. Schmidt!  I look forward to the next one.  

Awesomeness: 4/10
Wordsmithing: 7/10
Personages: 4/10

I read this book for the Spring Reading Thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where Am I?

This is an old blog, and I seldom update it. You can find me in these other places, in descending order of frequency: Goodreads @mama_libr...