Thursday, April 16, 2009

The Christmas Dolls (Girls of the Good Day Orphanage series) by Carol Beach York

This came off of someone's Top Ten Books list, and as I am also a fan of the young girl orphan genre, I thought I'd give it a look.  These girls are considerably better treated than Sara Crewe of Miss Minchin's was.  The girls are not the focus of the book -- the dolls, and their uncertain fate, are -- but there is still plenty of attention paid to details of interest to little girls, such as the contents of their Christmas stockings.

Now, I thought the book was very sweet, succinctly written with characters as interesting as any doll characters in children's chapter books may be.  But I couldn't stop thinking I'd seen these characters before.  I even recognize the illustration style, though not the illustrations themselves.  Tatty... Little Anne... what book had they appeared in originally?  It's just on the tip of my tongue.  I wish I had an answer.  Perhaps I will dream it tonight.

Awesomeness: 3/10
Wordsmithing: 5/10
Personages: 6/10

1 comment:

  1. Hello! Do you think you may have read one of the other books in the Girls of the Good Day Orphanage series? I haven't come across any of them, although in my online sleuthing I discovered that one of them inspired the name of the band Good Charlotte.

    I was also recently reminded of my favorite young French girl orphan book, A Brother for the Orphelines by Natalie Savage Carlsson. My goodness there are a lot of orphans in kidlit!

    ReplyDelete

Where Am I?

This is an old blog, and I seldom update it. You can find me in these other places, in descending order of frequency: Goodreads @mama_libr...