Thursday, November 5, 2009

Audiobook roundup



Here's what I've been listening to lately:

There's A Boy in the Girls' Bathroom by Louis Sachar.  I will always have a special space in my heart for Sachar, filled with bottlecaps.  This is an old one I never read.  I guess I assumed it would be a comedy based on the cover.  Boy, was I wrong!  It's an insightful, multi-layered look at the life of a bully.  Not that there weren't funny bits, but really, I got choked up more than once.  

Powers by Ursula LeGuin.  Another author I'm fond of, and of course I knew I would love this one.   The depth of her world-building is truly fabulous.  I'm only a third of the way in, though, since it's quite long compared to the middle grade stuff I usually listen to.

The 100-Year-Old Secret by Tracy Barrett.  Now I have three art theft mysteries to recommend!  (Masterpiece and Chasing Vermeer - and its sequels - are the other two.)  This one is, unfortunately, about a fake artist, so it doesn't carry the same resonance as the other two books.  It's also written for a younger audience and there isn't such a sense of mortal peril for the investigators, but I still enjoyed it.

Nation by Terry Pratchett.  Not as laugh-out-loud funny as his Discworld series, but definitely full of Pratchett moments.  A great survival, clash-of-cultures story.  I really liked the reader.

Homer Price by Robert McCloskey.  I was hoping this would have aged more gracefully, but sadly, I barely cracked a smile.  I don't think I'll be recommending this one.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where Am I?

This is an old blog, and I seldom update it. You can find me in these other places, in descending order of frequency: Goodreads @mama_libr...