Thursday, November 5, 2009

Amulet 1 & 2 by Kazu Kibuishi


Amulet 1 summary from Amazon: "After the tragic death of their father, Emily and Navin move with their mother to the home of her deceased great-grandfather, but the strange house proves to be dangerous. Before long, a sinister creature lures the kids' mom through a door in the basement. Em and Navin, desperate not to lose her, follow her into an underground world inhabited by demons, robots, and talking animals. Eventually, they enlist the help of a small mechanical rabbit named Miskit. Together with Miskit, they face the most terrifying monster of all, and Em finally has the chance to save someone she loves."

The most interesting part of this story is definitely Emily's relationship to the amulet.  Even in the midst of part 2, we still have little idea who or what the stone is.  I enjoyed watching her wrestle for control and dialogue with it, but she was a little too predictable and perfect in her response to the amulet's reaches for power.

This was a quick read with lovely graphics.  It reminded me of Bone in some ways, but was more cinematic, with a simpler story.  I can recommend it to my kids at school and know they'll enjoy it, but there's little beyond that. 

I read this as a nominated book for Cybils 2009. 

Awesomeness: 6 - points for a clean, sweeping fantasy story.
Wordsmithing: 5 - nothing too special here.
Personages: 6 - Miskit!
Mesmerizitude: 6 - eh, I'm vaguely interested in the way it comes out. 
Illustrations: 7 - this is my style of comic, but still only good enough

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where Am I?

This is an old blog, and I seldom update it. You can find me in these other places, in descending order of frequency: Goodreads @mama_libr...