Thursday, August 21, 2014

Booking Through Thursday: Mystery Novels

Today's meme at Booking Through Thursday asks:

btt button

Do you read mystery novels? If so, why? Is it the mysteries themselves that appeal to you? The puzzle-solving? The murders? Or why don’t you read them? What about them doesn’t appeal?
My guilty secret is that I don't read adult books.  I never have -- except for science fiction and fantasy -- unless I was required.  I read tons of YA and children's books, and I still do, and that's about it.

However... my father hooked me on some mystery subgenre that really appealed to me.  One was the serial killer novel.  I read a whole bunch of those, starting, of course, with Red Dragon and Silence of the Lambs.  Anything where I could get into the brain of the killer, either from the perspective of the killer himself or the investigator, was awesome.

I also love mysteries when there's a little bit of supernatural built in -- which I would consider to be an urban fantasy variant.  The series I liked the most was the Pendergast books by Preston and Childs.

I'm a big fan of Sherlock, but it's not because of the mystery component. It's the characters.  So I think that's the key for me -- I like character-driven books, and the genre doesn't matter much.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where Am I?

This is an old blog, and I seldom update it. You can find me in these other places, in descending order of frequency: Goodreads @mama_libr...