Thursday, June 10, 2010

Booking Through Thursday: Signature

This week's question on Booking Through Thursday:
Do signed copies excite you? Tempt you? Delight you? Or does it not matter to you?
 I'm starting to care, but mostly I think they're neat when I can get them, and not so important otherwise.  It's the experience of meeting the author that's meaningful to me.  I had a great conversation with Lauren Myracle the other day at my fabulous local bookstore, Nicola's Books.  She had Gary Paulsen visit a few weeks back, but even though it was cool to meet him and get a signature, I don't think I'll carry that memory very far.  Lauren Myracle, on the other hand, made an impression because she took time to talk with each of the people in line (mostly tween girls) and give them her sincere attention.  That's pretty impressive!

4 comments:

  1. I love going to book signings where the author really makes an effort to talk to everyone. I know that's not always possible for bigger events, but it definitely makes a stronger impression.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never met an author in person but would love to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm, I treasure a signed book from Jean Little, but otherwise...usually the only time I'd come in contact with signings is at conferences and I generally give the books I get to my library at some point. Having a signed book, especially of a popular author, is like having a little blinking sign *steal me!* *steal me!* No point in making a bad problem worse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to get signed books for my school, but I rarely get books signed other than that any more. I simply love to take author photographs. Don't ask me why!

    ReplyDelete

Where Am I?

This is an old blog, and I seldom update it. You can find me in these other places, in descending order of frequency: Goodreads @mama_libr...