Sunday, April 19, 2009

Komarr by Lois McMaster Bujold

This is the UK cover, which I like way more than the US cover.  I always imagined Miles being played by Robert Sean Leonard (Dr. James Wilson from House, MD), which is wonderfully supported by this illustration. Hee!

This is the 12th of the Vorkosigan Saga, not counting Falling Free or Ethan of Athos, but the first of the Miles In Love trilogy, in which (spoiler, but duh) he meets his future wife.  He stumbles all over himself doing it, though, which is really the fun of reading Miles.  That, and learning along with him all the stuff one learns along the course of a lifetime, with the added bonus of not having to actually be Miles and suffer the hardships therein. 

Komarr is primarily a character portrait of Miles and Ekaterin, with a mystery subplot and some interesting description of Komarr along the way.   It does not stand alone as well as some of the earlier books, mostly because of all the spoilers Bujold throws in to make the plot make sense, but one could begin with the short story "Labyrinth," then just read this trilogy (A Civil Campaign and "Wintergifts") and have a relatively meaningful sequence.  I really resonated with the Ekaterin character description and her difficulty with her husband -- Bujold, as always, totally nails her as an archetype while simultaneously creating a fresh, three-dimensional character.  Miles is mostly pining and moping for his forbidden love.  My biggest complaint is the lack of witty dialogue, as a good portion of the book takes place in the two main character's heads.

I am continuing reading this on my iPhone using Stanza, and loving it.  

Awesomeness: 6/10
Wordsmithing: 5/10
Personages: 7/10

This is part of my reading list for the Spring Reading Thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where Am I?

This is an old blog, and I seldom update it. You can find me in these other places, in descending order of frequency: Goodreads @mama_libr...